Cleaning carbon steel is very similar to cleaning a cast iron pan. It generally is very low maintenance but there are some things you will need to avoid to ensure the longevity of your pan.
What to Avoid:
1. Do not put it in a dishwasher.
- Carbon Steel pans are not dishwasher friendly and putting one in a dishwasher can ruin both the seasoning and the pan itself.
2. Do not soak in water.
- Soaking carbon steel in water can ruin the seasoning and lead to rusting.
3. Avoid using Steel Wool or other abrasive materials to clean carbon steel.
- Using overly abrasive materials to clean your carbon steel pan can scratch the surface and ruin the seasoning.
Now that we have covered what not to do, here are some methods for cleaning carbon steel:
&... always dry your pan after cleaning to avoid rusting.